Home » Treating damp is crucial for your home’s health and wellbeing

Treating damp is crucial for your home’s health and wellbeing

  • by

Dampness in your home can lead to a number of problems.

It is important for homeowners to take the necessary precautions, as dampness can cause mold and mildew growth on walls and ceilings. In turn, this leads to stains on drywall or wallpaper that are difficult to remove, not mention the health risks associated with breathing in mold spores from these types of surfaces. And it’s not just about aesthetics – those who experience allergies or asthma might be more prone to flare-ups when there is a lot of moisture present in their environment due to prolonged exposure.   

However, there are some easy DIY remedies you can try before calling a professional contractor: installing dehumidifiers or laminating flooring materials that are susceptible to humidity and dust build-up.

Signs of a Mold Problem and Tips for Prevention

It is important to identify the signs of a mildew or mould issue in your home.

Mould will often produce a bad odour that can be detected.

One sign that you might have water leaks is when you notice stains on the drywall or wallpaper, which are caused by dampness.

It is more likely that you will be able to detect the presence of mould before anyone else will because it will be an allergen for you due to prolonged exposure. Usually, there are some issues with visibility when you turn off the lights at night because this encourages growth of bacteria and fungi. If you notice these signs, it is time to act before it does any more damage to the structure and value of your home.

Mould is not the only problem when it comes to dampness in your home – mildew can also cause problems when it is present.

Generally, you will want to monitor for areas of building materials that are covered with dust and grime because this tends to be an indicator that there might be moisture in the air.

Remedies for Treating Mildew or Mould Build-Up

There are a number of DIY remedies for treating mildew or mould build-up. One that you might want to try is the following:

Remove wet or damp stains, like those caused by leaks, with clean cloths and dry them off.

Install dehumidifiers near the source of moisture in your home, like bathrooms or basements.

Add mold-resistant coatings on surfaces that are susceptible to humidity and dust build-up, like laminating flooring materials.

If you notice any signs of mould in your home, it is time to act before it does any more damage to your property.

Hiring a Professional Contractor to Fix the Problem

If you’re experiencing heavy moisture in your home or you notice that there are signs of mildew or mould, then you might want to consider hiring a professional contractor to fix the problem. This person will be able to assess the severity of your issue and offer solutions on how to get rid of it for good.

Dampness in your home is not something you should ignore.

It can lead to a number of problems, including mildew or mold growth that are difficult to remove.

Conclusion

Hiring a professional contractor to fix the problem is one way of solving this issue. However, there are some easy DIY remedies you can try before calling for assistance. One that you might want to try is the following:   Remove wet or damp stains with clean cloths and dry them off; Install dehumidifiers near sources of moisture in your home like basements or bathrooms; Add mold-resistant coatings on surfaces that are susceptible to humidity and dust build-up, such as laminating flooring materials. If all of these tasks seem too overwhelming, contact us today. Our providers will be happy to partner with you throughout every step of the process!